Think you are tough??? Want bragging rights??? Ever want to be so tired the next day after fighting a fish??? If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, maybe this charter is what you are looking for. This is the adrenaline charter, just waiting for the rod to bend and the line to scream!
We’ll head out 11-25 miles offshore, depending on where the sharks are biting. This is a half day charter (4 to 6 hours). Captain Adam wants to ensure you get what you’re going after. He will have the boat equipped with two special shark rods. First rod is set up with 80 pound test mono line and the second rod is set up with 150 pound test mono line. The average angler can handle the 80 pound test rod, whereas the 150 pound test rod is reserved for the more experienced and seasoned angler.
Possible sharks we may catch and what you are allowed to keep:
- Tiger shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel. We only catch a couple per year.
- Spinner shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel. These we will hook but rarely bring to the boat. They put on a spectacular kill/jump spin display within the first 30 seconds of hook up.
- Black tip shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel. The most common shark we catch.
- Nurse Shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Great Hammerhead shark: 78 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Scalloped Hammerhead shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Smooth Hammerhead shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Atlantic Sharpnose shark: No size limit, 2 per vessel or 1 with additional “keeper” shark. More commonly caught in late spring or early summer.
- Bull shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Dusky Shark: Prohibited from being kept.
- Lemon shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel.
- Black nose shark: 54 inch min. length, one per vessel. Rare to catch a “keeper” size.
- Other possibilities but less common: Sandbar shark, Bonnethead shark, Reef shark, Mako shark, Silky Shark.
Sharks are a highly migratory species, so we can’t guarantee what species you will catch but have a success of 95% hook up during certain months of the year.
We discourage keeping sharks unless you intend to eat them. We work with a talented taxidermist who will create a fiberglass replica of your mount based on photos and measurements that Playin’ Hooky Charters provides them if you would like your shark mounted.
If you intend to keep the shark for eating please let us know when you book the charter so that we can have enough ice to properly care for your catch.
While fishing for your shark, we also will attempt to catch some sport fish such as barracuda, bonita, king mackerel, cobia, goliath grouper and blackfin tuna! So bring your favorite “beverage,” some snacks, some stories to share and plan to head home with some great fishing memories!
For summer months – July through September – due to Florida’s rainy season and storm patterns, offshore fishing can be unpredictable. For your safety during this time of year, scheduling needs to be flexible for possible rescheduling and know that you may not have the opportunity to go as far offshore for specific fish as is available other times of the year.
Although Playin’ Hooky Charters is known as the kid friendly charter, it is not recommended for children under the age of 10.
WHAT’S PROVIDED (Read more on our FAQ page)
We provide all rods, reels, tackle and bait. You are welcome to bring your own, but it is not necessary. All safety equipment is on board, such as U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests. We encourage you apply sunscreen and take motion sickness pills before boarding in the morning, and bring it with you as well. We have a camera on board, but we strongly encourage you to document your memories (and we’d love to be emailed your photos, have you post them to our Facebook page or tag them on Instagram @playinhookycharterslf )! The boat is equipped with a CD and mp3 player, so if you bring your favorite tunes, we’ll be happy to play them for you! Water is available; you may bring alcohol or soda as well. We ask you to pack your food … bring your lunch and we’ll catch your dinner!
Pricing – up to 5 adults** (ages 16+) under age 16 is up to 6 passengers
Flat Rate: $650 (25% discount if no shark HOOK UP)
*Please note: We know it can be disappointing to catch but not keep a fish when it’s not in season or it’s just shy of the legal size limit, but we must adhere to the Florida State fishing laws. HERE is a link for current finishing regulation for the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you for understanding!